Seven Quick Takes – Catching Up

After such a long hiatus from blogging, I thought I’d better use today’s quick takes for a quick catch up on the happenings in the Engelman family.

— 1 —

I am a terrible mother for not having written about this with huge fanfare, but on April 27th, Bonita received her First Communion.  What a joyful experience.  Bonita has always possessed a strong faith… or, at least, stronger than other children with whom I’m closely acquainted.  And so, this was a special day that she looked forward to with great anticipation.  Not because she got to get dressed up, be the center of attention, and receive lots of presents – though those things were also highly anticipated! – but because she finally got to partake of the Body and Blood of our Lord.  What a blessing to have played a role in that, to have been her catechist from the day she was born, and to look forward to watching her continue to grow in the faith in the years to come.

20140613-083436-30876425.jpg 20140613-083440-30880036.jpg

— 2 —

The date of Bonita’s First Communion was extremely significant.  It was also the day that Ray and I bought our first home, and, two years later, sold that home, while closing on the next home – in Colorado – that same day.  A year after that – to the day – we got married.  (Cart before horse? Who, me?  Remember, I have not always been a woman of faith!)  One year after that, I started my new job back in Indy.  Five years after that, Bear was baptized, along with my nephew and Godson, Joe.  Another four years and the same day would see my other nephew and Godson, John Paul, receive his First Communion.

Needless to say, the date of our wedding anniversary is one we will not forget.  Sadly, on the actual day, the celebration of said anniversary is generally… forgotten.

— 3 —

 Shortly after this time of celebration, the dog nearly died.  I mean, we’re talking his fur was soaked by my tears of farewell after I texted Ray to come home to help me take him to the vet for that final shot nearly died.  And then he rallied.  And then he took a turn for the worse and we were ready to call it again.  And then he rallied.  And then… well, you get the picture.

It all started when he ate something he shouldn’t have.  That messed his system all up, and he didn’t do what dogs need to “do” for several days.  Even when he did do the do, he still didn’t get better.  We took him to the vet, gave him massive amounts of laxative, which made him violently, horribly ill… (so bad I nearly sat vigil with him all night.  But then I came to my senses, went to bed, and he had to suffer alone.)  After nearly killing him in and of itself, the laxative finally worked, but then he didn’t eat for five days and could hardly be coaxed to walk 30 feet.  I kept him going with sugar water, and he lost an immense amount of weight.  Finally, I gave him an anti-inflammatory tincture, he started eating again, and within a couple of days was back to normal, although he’s still skin and bones, nearly a month later.


Keyser wanted to be outside while he was at his worst, and even spent many nights outside.

— 4 —

Once the dog came back to life, baseball season was in full swing.  The Dude has decided that it’s his favorite sport, which I find a great relief over his prior devotion to football.  His team this year is very good – for a nice change – and they’ve won most of their games.  He got to pitch one inning and did a great job once he’d warmed up.  Sadly, things have stagnated since then and he’s been stuck on second base or, worse, in the outfield.  His league here is extremely competitive, and numerous sources have led us to believe that an average player in his current league will be the star of his new league.  We’re rather looking forward to next year.

Zach pitching

Zach pitching

— 5 —

And then there was the end of the school year.  Why is it always so crazy?  I’m really not sure, but I can’t begin to say how thrilled I am by the prospect of not having to sort through any school papers for the next two months.

— 6 —

This was an emotional end to the school year, since we will be switching schools next year (and have already, technically, switched churches).  The Dude was fine, since his new school boasts his cousins, who also happen to be among his best friends.  Bear didn’t say much, but comments occasionally that he wants to stay at his old school.  Bonita refused to discuss the impending end to the school year, and hugged the toilet briefly on the morning of the last day, saying that she felt physically ill.  Poor thing. 🙁

— 7 —

With the impending change of schools comes a change of address as well.  First, though, we must get our house ready to sell.  We’ve lived here for nearly eleven years.  We painted most rooms shortly after we moved in, and haven’t touched it since.  The finger prints no longer wipe off, and many projectiles have dented the walls.  We’ve made good progress in the last few months- I’ve trimmed plants outside, painted the kids’ bathroom, touched up the living room, and am about five square feet from finishing the two story entry, upstairs hall, and loft (Hear me roar!).  Ray’s laid wood laminate floors, installed a new kitchen faucet, and pressure washed the deck.  My wonderful electrical engineer dad wrapped up some lose electrical ends from our basement construction.  Still, though, we have a long way to go!  I’m beating this horse as hard as I can, allowing the kids to watch more tv and play more video games than they should, trying to get this puppy on the market so we can enjoy the rest of our summer.  And so that I can write consistently again.  In the meantime, if you don’t hear from me, assume I’m working on the house.  Feel free to stop by and grab a paint brush!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *